The community is invited to join parishioners at 9 a.m. on Sunday, November 9, to celebrate one of Tucson’s favorite Blessing of the Animals services. The service will be held in the church plaza of St. Philip’s In The Hills Episcopal Church. This observance was begun more than 35 years ago and continues to be one of the most popular events of the church year. It celebrates the loving relationship shared by humans and their pets, with opportunities to give thanks for the blessings animals give to us. Readings and prayers focus on the wonders of our world and our responsibility as humans to be good stewards of God’s creation. All types of animals are welcome at this service. Participants are asked to keep their pets appropriately restrained. (This service does not include communion. The usual Rite II Eucharist will take place in the Church, also at 9 a.m.)
The public is cordially invited to attend the service. A freewill offering will be collected.
St. Philip’s is located at 4440 N. Campbell Avenue at River Road. Ample parking is available in the north parking lot, or under our solar parking structure on the east side. The office phone number is 299-6421.
St. Philip’s In The Hills Episcopal Church presents a seven part series on death and dying, beginning on Sunday, October 12, at 10:15 a.m. in the La Paz Room. The goals of this forum series are to inform participants of the Episcopal Church’s ethos (theology, spirituality, practices) concerning death and dying; to inform participants of the pastoral resources offered by St. Philip’s before, at the time of, and after death; and to inform participants of available resources in the Tucson community.
- October 12 and 19: Episcopal Church positions on suicide and assisted suicide, palliative care, burial offices, and ministration at the time of death, with the Rev. Canon John E. Kitagawa, Rector
- October 26: Philip’s pastoral care resources in support of the parish community, with the Rev. Vicki Hesse
- November 2: Pastoral care resources both within St. Philip’s and in the Tucson community, with the Rev. Vicki Hesse and the Rev. Karen MacDonald from Interfaith Community Services
- November 9: Advance planning, powers of attorney, DNRs, and wills and estate planning, with attorney Richard Duffield
- November 16: Planning a funeral/memorial service at St. Philip’s, with the Rev. Greg Foraker
- November 23: Community resources, including hospice care and support groups, with the Rev. Dr. Frank Williams
Please join St. Philip’s Clergy, Community Leaders and Professionals, for this timely and informative series. Held in the La Paz Room (a meeting room off the central garden space between the Church and the office complex).
The public is cordially invited to attend. Everyone is welcome at any time. There is no charge.
St. Philip’s is located at 4440 N. Campbell Avenue at River Road. Ample parking is available in the north parking lot or under the solar parking structure on the east side. The office phone number is 299-6421.